Sunday 20 November 2011

How NOT To Buy A Lemon

When you plunge into the misty world of used bikes, are you prepared to haggle?

My first pair of motorcycle gloves were welding gloves and I was given them. My first bike cost me $250 and I handed all of my hard earned school-holiday earnings over without even checkin out the bike, it looked too good! I also bought it at night, when it looked real good...the next day when it was parked in my parents driveway, it didn't look too good. But I didn't care because it was MINE!

Your motorbike gloves were clean when you bought them...your new bike should be very clean. Be wary of a dirty bike...the owner is slack. If it is clean, check all those hard to get at areas to make sure the owner has not just given it a quick wipe. Take a torch with you when inspecting.

You may have bought your motorcycle gloves from a dealership, but do NOT assume that a motorcycle in a dealership is any better from the one being sold round the corner.

If the bike has two wheels, a set of handlebars then you are half way there! It should steer okay in both directions. When you screw it open with your motorbike gloves, check that the motor is running smoothly and does NOT blow smoke. Speed is all about stopping! Hit the brakes and if you don't stop and are still alive to tell the owner that you won't be buying it, then don't buy it!

It's all a bit stressful but if you want to satisfy your wallet, then get a qualified mechanic to do it for you. That way you can buy yourself that extra pair of motorcycle racing gloves with built in protector!

No comments:

Post a Comment